<VV> SF Quality Oil

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:43:27 EST 2013

*Gary, I don't know if  you got a copy of the oil article I pulled of the
Corvette Forum last fall and put on VV about oils,, but it listed a number
of oils, this guy tested 44 of them, that contaned sufficient Zinc to be
considered for our engines. One of the top ten with the highest zinc and
lowest readings in a friction test that is readily available is the Quaker
State Defy High Mileage 10w30 SL oil also found at Wally's World, in my
area for 15.54 for 5 quarts. It is also a semi synethtic, and has some
additional Moly lube to help out the Zinc. The levels of Zinc and Phos as
well as the other additives for anti foaming, etc., are listed below in
this paste. *
**
*One caveot, it is a high mileage oil and does have additives to keep your
seals from hardening, so I don't know if I would use it in a new engine for
that reason. *
**
*But I am using it in two newer vehicles, 03 and 04's with over 100K miles
on them and after my first run of 5K miles plus on two vehicles, the oil
has stayed remarkably clean. It is a SL rated oil and no starburst. *
**
*Here are the specs:*
**
*Quaker State 10W30 Defy, API SL* synthetic blend (lab tested 2012)
NOTE: An API SL rating is for 2004 and older automotive engines. This
rating was replaced by the API SM rating at the end of November 2004, when
the 2005 models were already available.

Silicon = 3 ppm (anti-foaming agent in new oil, but in used oil, certain
gasket materials and dirt can also add to this number)
Boron = 170 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Magnesium = 8 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Calcium = 2652 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Barium = 0 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
*Total detergent/dispersant (anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge) = 2830 ppm*
Zinc = 1221 ppm (anti-wear)
Phos = 955 ppm (anti-wear)
Moly = 99 ppm (anti-wear)
*Total anti-wear = 2275 ppm*
Potassium = 4 ppm (anti-freeze corrosion inhibitor)
Sodium = 0 ppm (anti-freeze corrosion inhibitor)
TBN = 6.5 (Total Base Number is an acid neutralizer to prevent corrosion.
Most gasoline engine motor oils start with TBN around 8 or 9. And in use,
this becomes depleted over time as mileage accumulates)
Viscosity (cSt at 100*C) = 11.7 (cSt range for SAE 30 is 9.3 to 12.4) And
cSt (centistokes) in general terms, represents an oil’s thickness

Regards  Mark Durham