<VV> Alternate Fans?

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 21:18:10 EDT 2013

Wouldn't a clutch fan work better ?
It would only catch when the fan speed is less than the belt speed and
would free wheel on deceleration...

Just a thought
Rodney Sampson
HACOA

 Rodney....  common "clutch fans" do not work that way....  three common types

1  Cheap...centrifugal...  clutch releases at higher  rpm...  as when car is going 20 mph  or more....  not good for trucks / large cars....  they will allow overheating on hills.

2  Thermo  ... these are the normal....  only engage when the AIR going thru them reaches a set temp..IE  180f   Our fans PUSH COOL AIR

3  Electro-mechanical      Too big and bulky...

  Several years ago...  We tested an "Over-running clutch"  allowing the fan to freewheel  during downshifts /engine decel...

Sadly way too expensive... but worked fine..

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages