<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 98, Issue 34

Rodney Sampson rsampson at kc.rr.com
Tue Mar 12 19:25:54 EDT 2013

All:

Wouldn't a clutch fan work better ?
It would only catch when the fan speed is less than the belt speed and
would free wheel on deceleration...

Just a thought
Rodney Sampson
HACOA

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:39:46 -0700
From: "lonwall at corvairunderground.com" <corvairs at pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> Cooling
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org

Yeah, the electric cooling bit has not been solved.

Yes, there are a few out there who claim they've done it - but.........

My bottom line is, why no progress in producing such a system if the
"bugs" have been worked out? I've seen some of these systems and been
told that they work. Unfortunately they don't work 100% of the time.
Even if you design a system that works 99.9% of the time and fails the
other .1% of the time you have failed. It's like setting up your piston
clearance just a little too tight. There won't be problem in 100,000
cycles. It's that 1 time out of the 100,000 that will fry the engine.

Bottom line - your piston clearance doesn't work because it fries engines.

But if an electric system could be designed to be 100% safe 100% of the
time would we have 'won"?  Not unless some sort of gain could be
achieved.  Where's the "gain"?  Oh, not flipping fan belts.  You know
what I think of that "problem".

Robson spring loaded idlers are in stock. Ask the man who races with them.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com

=======
http://www.pctools.com/