<VV> Antiseize on plugs update

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 16 21:30:47 EDT 2013

Since I work on a few cars for friends now and then, I subscribe to the Motor trade journal. A recent editorial and responses and research on whether to use antiseize with spark plugs in aluminum heads got my attention, so I thought I would share. The crux of the writings is that most manufacturers don't mention it or say not to use it because all of the newer manufactured plugs now have a coating (nickel or zinc-chromate, for example) on their threads. There are a few new car manuals that suggest using only half recommended torque if any kind of antiseize or lubricant is used to avoid breaking a plug while installing or later removing. There is also information from plug manufacturers explaining that getting the material on the electrode can cause plug fouling and failure. NKG and Autolite (except for one specific long reach plug in a 3-valve Ford engine) say never use antiseize on their plugs. So, what I gleaned from the information that could pertain to Corvairs is that if you use an old (pre-80's?) plug that you can use anti-sieze if you reduce the torque value significantly, and that you should not use it if using a modern plug, and that checking the plug manufacturers' recommendation is very important, regardless.
The Carbmeister