<VV> Electric fans, pusher or puller

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 13:36:23 EDT 2013

 There's a fallacy based on false assumptions here. Locomotives and ships use electrical transmissions, and they are over 90% efficient. The battery doesn't enter into the equation here, as once the engine is running, the power goes from the generator/alternator right to the motor, the battery is there just to provide cranking power.

All that being said, efficiency should be very good, with the right controls. Divorcing fan speed from engine speed allows the fan to operate at a far more efficient part of its curve.

All THAT being said, the real drawback is lack of sufficient electrical power for any fan capable of doing a good job.

Now, if someone wanted to use a 90 volt alternator going right to a 90 volt motor, separate from the rest of the car's electrical system, there's hope. Of course, the weight added will be substantial.

So, as I often ask, what problem does an electric drive solve, and is there a simpler, less expensive solution to whatever the problem might be?

John Roberts