<VV> alternate fans

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 12:24:19 EDT 2013

Good idea!  But may I suggest an improvement? Variable speed control  can
be established with a simple electronic circuit--one integrated   circuit and
a few resistors, capacitors and one potentiometer which could be  moved by
the same control rod that operates the air doors.

Scotty from Hollyweird

.

In a message dated 3/17/2013 1:35:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dkdewald at pasty.net writes:

On  3/17/2013 10:05, Jay wrote:

>>snip<<

> If you  could take a Corvair (or other) blower that would supply more
> than  enough volume and pressure, then drive it with a variable ratio
> system  (like snowmobile?) and control ratio by head temp?
> Then you'd never  waste power by pumping more air than needed, and always
> have enough  cooling.

This is done all the time on heavy equipment (dozers,  loaders, graders,
etc) using hydraulic drive.  Of course, all of  these machines have large
hydraulic pumps and systems already in place  from which to tap hydraulic
flow to run a fan drive.  I would not  want to add the complexity of an
additional hydraulic system to my  Corvair, however.

On the other hand, I think Jay may have an idea with  some merit. How
about a compact CVT (variable diameter pulley perhaps?)  that is adjusted
by servo (stepper) motor to maintain a set RPM based on  head
temperature.  It could use  engine RPM and the motor  position/pulley
ratio function to keep the fan speed at the desired  setpoint. It might
be desirable for this mechanism to adjust quickly to  account for engine
speed changes when shifting gears (for belt life), but  I don't think it
would be necessary.  The system would just need to  maintain a
time-weighted average fan speed based on head  temperature.

Dale Dewald
Hancock,  MI
the property
of the  writer, please attribute properly. For help,
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to:  VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Change your options: