<VV> alternate fans

jay m jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Mar 19 02:07:02 EDT 2013

On 3/18/2013 7:49 PM, Joel McGregor wrote:
> A variable belt drive has to have a variable pulley on both ends and it would miss-align the belt and cause more belts to come off.  There would also be problems getting the signals & power to your electrically variable pulley system.  All that mess make a hydraulic setup look like a better option.
> A more efficient stock replacement fan with an aluminum hub and titanium pulley would be a better place to shoot for.  There are probably some modern plastics that would handle the heat.  They might also be a good choice for hub material.
> Joel McGregor

We were discussing one-way clutches recently - just a  comment on that-

The torque requirement would determined by a couple of things-
  the 'holding torque' would be used to drive the fan, so it would have to:

1: transmit the necessary torque to drive the blower
2: more importantly, transmit the torque to accelerate the blower when
you rev the motor with clutch in.
3: Whatever torsional shake the belt can transmit from the crank will
tend to pound the one-way clutch.
4: gas it, back off, gas it again - the fan is still freewheeling down
when the crank accelerates back into the one-way clutch.

So it might need to be pretty beefy.

Food for thought!

--
Jay