<VV> Astro 1 engine fans

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Tue Mar 19 10:22:13 EDT 2013

Now that I've been given directions on how to actually search the VV archives,
I'm emboldened to ask this question regarding Corvair engine fans:  Has
anyone attempted to replicate the Astro 1 overhead cam engine cooling
system?  (I didn't see any obvious references to attempts to replicate this
system.)

The Astro 1 engine was a major redesign to incorporate a number of major
improvements to the Corvair engine.  The major one was the SOHC design, but
the cooling system was also radically different in that it used three blowers
(squirrel cage?) on a single horizontal shaft.  The fan routing was
simplified to eliminate the 90 degree bends and looks much more like a
conventional layout.

I've seen some of the Porsche fan adaptions to the Corvair engine so
itseem pretty obvious that the fan belt
routing could be done on a more or less stock engine, but has anyone
actually investigated the fans themselves?

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair