<VV> Astro 1 engine fans

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Tue Mar 19 10:44:16 EDT 2013

For those who can read mechanical blueprints, I've posted the top view
drawing of the Astro engine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mel_francis/8571083561/in/photostream
As you can see, there are three disc-type fans on the main shaft, with vanes
on both sides of the disc.
These fit into a lower casting that matches the vanes closely and is closed
off by a top cover,
or perhaps three separate fan covers that complete the pressure rings.

Perhaps the main reason that nobody has replicated this system, even GM, is
complexity and the
resulting cost. There is also a fair amount of rotating mass, more than
double that of the stock mag fan and
that would certainly become a problem in any higher performance application.

Mel