<VV> Conditions for cooling fans > Astro 1 engine fans

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Tue Mar 19 11:40:00 EDT 2013

There are a couple of issues to consider.
1. For a street car, low speed, heat soak has to be overcome. Similarly a
race car at slow pace, like under a yellow or on the grid.
2. For either a street or race car, roatating weight, momentum and inertia
are important considerations for acceleratiing.
3. For a race car, high rpm cooling is a must. High rpm  is > 6500 rpm -
Observations indicate engine load in 4th at high speed/rpm generates a lot
of heat.
4. For a race car, the mentioned inertia upon gear changes is critical.
Typically on a "mule drive" with reduced diameter fan, my experience
indicates the belt problem occurs with two downshifts at the end of a high
speed/rpm 4th gear straight.
5. IF, the race car is gently speed-shifted, the belt survives upshifts even
at >7000 rpm. Assumes slick belt, properly adjusted with proper spring idler
tension.
6. IMHO. YMMD.

Chuck S
BBRT