<VV> LM Radio Conversion

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Mar 21 01:26:31 EDT 2013

At 02:18 PM 3/4/2013, Matt Nall wrote:

>If you have a modern radio/stereo that has shafts, you can fit them into the
>faceplate of the old Delco radio and get a factory look along with FM and MP3
>capability.  You'll have to cut up the newer radio for clearance of the
>electronics and shaft.
>

>I used a Dual cassette/FM/AM/aux input radio that I bought at AutoZone for
>$24.99.  If anyone's interested, I'll post the directions and details.
>
>Regards to all...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C

>   First..  ATTACH  some pics to your message!  Many have done
> this.. but it never looks right..
>

>Matt Nall

I know, old post... but I've been behind in my e-mails and in this
instance I thought I'd comment.

I've done this sort of thing a number of times using modern
electronics installed in an original 2700 series gutted Delco AM
radio chassis.  It's not hugely difficult although it does take some
ingenuity and first-hand knowledge of electronics.  The trick is
mounting the digital display of the donor radio behind the face/lens
of the Delco radio so it looks stone stock but you still have a
digital display.  Making the pushbuttons work is also problematic,
what with modern radios using surface mount ptt switches to change
stations.  It's doable but requires mounting switches on a piece of
PC board with the appropriate connections going to the donor radio's
switch board.  The original donor radios never have the switches in
any sort of location where the Delco push buttons can be made to push
them... and you still need to adapt links to make the Delco radio
pushbuttons work the donor switches.

One that I did had no pushbutton functions at all, done on the cheap
and easy, used the tuning knob to run up and down the band, although
the scan function was still workable... didn't really need the push buttons.

The mod is not for the faint of heart.  I had the advantage of having
at my disposal a bunch of factory later-vintage digitally tuned car
radios to use as donors.  I did not do a tape conversion or CD player
conversion, too complicated and the face of the Delco radio doesn't
lend itself well to such trickery. But it does give you AM-FM stereo
with some respectable power and better sound quality than the
original Delco radios could ever manage.

I have an old '61 'Vair base model AM radio, no pushbuttons, that I'm
thinking of gutting and updating with modern innards... stick it in
my '60.  And, I must have a couple dozen factory AM-FM stereo
shaft-mount donor radios people simply gave me after updating their
cars with CD players etc.   So donor radios are no problem.

One I was given is a rare/scarce 1971 Chrysler AM-FM stereo radio
that was simply discarded by the guy who yanked it to put a cassette
tape player in the car.  It's a perfect fit in the dash of my '66
Plymouth Satellite and looks stone stock.  And it works like new.  :)

...I also acquired via scrounging junkyard storage shelves two '60s
vintage Delco AM-FM radios, one from a Buick and one from an Olds,
that are a direct bolt-in for an early Corvair.  I paid 10 bucks for
one, and the other cost me 20. Both work well.  This was about 14 years ago...

tony..