<VV> PG upshift flare - vac modulator?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Mar 21 22:11:31 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

So here's something interesting.  A couple months back I reported a problem with smoke in the exhaust and low PG fluid on our '62 102/PG wagon, which I was told pointed to a bad vacuum modulator.  I picked up the new part from Clark's (improved! just for Corvairs! it said) along with the special wrench and installed it.  Took the car out and sure enough, no more smoke.  Great!

However, now it flares on upshift - that is on the low to high shift, the engine momentarily revs higher, like it's low on fluid.  I double checked the fluid, it's ok.  The trans worked fine before, and other than the flare it works fine now.  So, did I get a bad one?  I found a few reports of this, but it's not clear if there's a better modulator than the one from Clark's.  Any other things to check - perhaps this has uncovered some other issue?

As usual, thanks for any clues.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell | Springfield, Va. | bryan at skiblack.com | http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa
  '69 Road Runner, '99 Neon R/T, '00 Miata SE, '09 Ford F-150
  Kid cars: '00 Grand Marquis, '99 Miata