<VV> synthetic oil

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Mar 23 12:52:35 EDT 2013

I see that whoever listed the issues that will begin e-mail "lobbing"
forgot to add "Synthetic oil?" to the list. <grin> - So - - Here is my  opinion:

 Some cars require Synthetic oil - due to design or  warrantee needs - My
C6 Corvette among them. For that car I use  Mobil 1. For regular street
driving in newer cars (with roller cams, and  catalytic converters) I use a good
Starburst oil with the correct  viscosity. For an older Corvair motor -
assembled years ago - and for street  use, a good oil with a standard amount of
ZDDP - not much, I know, is likely  okay. For a newly built Corvair motor -
still street use - the special high ZDDP  conventional oils - there are now
several of them on the market - are probably  fine. They will plate-out the
surfaces needed for a longer life - lifter  surfaces, especially.
Now for a heavy-duty Corvair motor, with racing and hard use anticipated,
Synthetic Oils are great. I don't think they are much more "slippery" than a
 good conventional oil (Brad-Penn comes to mind) but they have excellent
high-temperature performance. My autocross motor lives for one purpose, turn
in  a good time on course, usually around a minute at a time. I thrash the
heck out  of it for that whole time. If I through a fan belt - (Hey, it could
happen!) -  mid way through that run, I don't want to "have to" back off
the throttle  to save the valve train. The high temp performance of the
synthetic gives me  that flexibility to complete the run and get my time. The same
applies to a  track car that might flip a belt mid-way through a lap. It is
engine insurance.  So I use a synthetic oil for a race motor. I use RedLine
oil, I am sure that  AmSoil is just great, and Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and
others are okay as well.  True synthetics are made from petroleum base stock,
but are "assembled" to a  specific formula. Today, because of marketing
efforts - and lawsuits - the term  "Synthetic" has been "despoiled" into a
questionable adjective. So, look  out for "Blends" which are part synthetic.
They may be fine oils, but not give  the high temp performance you want on a
race motor.

-Seth Emerson

In a message dated 3/23/2013 8:52:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,