<VV> What is safe anyway?

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Mar 27 12:57:53 EDT 2013

My wife is a smart one.  She understands that she can't drive.  I'll admit that the CTS stability control hasn't put me in the ditch but I can see where it would be a problem in an emergency situation for me since it does things that are unexpected and unwanted.  It's safer for her because it's better than she is at knowing what to do in a bad situation.  I would rather take my chances on me knowing what to do.  Dangerous probably isn't fair to the CTS.  "Less safe" would be more accurate.

Do you think you could run an autocross faster in a CTS with the stability control on or off?  I believe you would be off the course or hitting things if you tried to run full speed with the stability control on.  I have heard that the GTR's system is good enough that even the best drivers can go faster with it on.

Rear wheel antilock seems to be a good thing on vehicles with a lot of weight transfer.  According to tests cars stop faster without antilock.  Antilock just makes them more controllable when stopping hard.

Joel McGregor
From: Sethracer at aol.com [Sethracer at aol.com]
Subject: Re: <VV> What is safe anyway?

I like "driver aids" that can be removed when not wanted. When I autocross my C6 Corvette, I turn off Stability Control and Traction control. It's drive time! The only time I have EVER turned them off on the street- actually only the traction control off - was to do a burnout. The ABS cannot be turned off at all, even in competition (unless you start pulling fuses, etc.) I actually used the ABS last night, (my bad!) I was following a little too close and, 10 cars ahead, someone had to stop to make a decision (grrrgh). I never got closer than 6 feet to that bumper ahead, but that really seems close when the brake pedal is on the floor and the tires are chirping their way to a stop. I am glad that nobody was behind me - I would have been a hockey puck.

You mentioned the target customer for the "assisted" car. I would not call the CTS a "boring, dangerous" car. There are plenty of those, but not too many new ones. (Many may be boring, but hardly any are dangerous). I understand your comment on your wife's capabilities. (Though I am not so sure she would!) But she does, indeed, represent a much greater percentage of the driving public than we do! And I have to admit, that may be a good thing.<grin> Now, you asked about "safe" drivers and what that represents. There are boring, safe drivers, as well as boring, safe cars. The problem, I guess becomes acute when unsafe drivers get into unsafe cars. "Accident looking for a place to happen". I feel that many of the "driver assistance" features protect, not only the driver and passengers, but the other cars/drivers around that car - one of whom might be me! The cautionary lesson here is to not let those "driver aids" take the place of alert, active driving. Many people are lazy enough to let that happen. Pardon me while I remote start my car.

- Seth