<VV> ABS? - or just BS

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 16:46:39 EDT 2013

Joel wrote:
Do you think you could run an autocross faster in a  CTS with the stability
control on or off?  I believe you would be off the  course or hitting
things if you tried to run full speed with the stability  control on.  I have
heard that the GTR's system is good enough that even  the best drivers can go
faster with it on.

So Seth writes
I have pulled out onto course on a practice lap, having forgotten to
disable the ESC and traction control. (Each time the motor is shut off, the
controls reset on.) The systems "slap me upside the head" when I exit the  first
corner. I then stop, press the button on the Corvette console until they
are disabled, and continue on with my run. (Getting old sucks!) I brought my
brother out to an autocross to co-drive the Corvette, since he never had
driven  it. I left all 'aids" on for his first three runs. He had fun and, as
he headed  out for his fourth - and last - run. I disabled the controls,
excepting ABS, and  told him - "Now you have to drive it!". He made it to the
third corner before  spinning out as he exited. Of course, you asked me, if I
can autocross the CTS  faster with or without the controls. I'm sure I
would be faster without, but  maybe not the first time I tried! By the way the
newest stability controls would  shut the engine down, at least mostly, after
applying your brakes. Running  with the stability controls on and applying
full throttle - would just get you  severely chastised by the computer. You
would not be hitting things - unless you  aimed for them.

The first ABS equipped Corvettes, the ones in the mid-eighties, were  being
road raced in semi-stock classes. The drivers found out that in the sprint
races, under an hour, they could usually go faster by manually controlling
the  brakes. That was about their time limit of keeping the car right on the
 very edge. In the enduro races - some three hours long - or longer? They
used the ABS. The reliability and repeatability out weighed the tiny
advantage they had with manual application. PS - we are talking about  world-class
drivers here, not you and me.

Joel also wrote:
Rear wheel antilock seems to be a good thing  on vehicles with a lot of
weight transfer.  According to tests cars stop  faster without antilock.
Antilock just makes them more controllable when  stopping hard.

So Seth writes more:
Indeed, as someone else mentioned, ABS should be classified as a steering
device. The trick is to remember to steer as you are rapidly approaching the
 object with your foot planted hard on the brake!  Finally -  Remember
these two pieces of advice? One, given to new drivers, steer into the  skid.
Two, given to new autocrossers, look where you want the car to go. Well,  when
you clamp on the binders to keep from flattening the guys bumper ahead, you
are likely: One - skidding straight ahead ABS or not and two - staring
straight  at that guys rear bumper, calculating how many more seconds of life
your headlights have. So, it's no wonder . . . . . .

footnote:
The first mandated applications for anti-lock systems were for trucks.
Pick-ups are the worst. (Well, maybe a FWD pickup - I only know of two) They
have no weight on the rear end - unless loaded. I am glad that so many cars
have  anti-lock brakes on them. I hope that will keep them from hitting me! -
 Seth