<VV> Deves rings?

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Fri Mar 29 16:07:56 EDT 2013

You just need a heating pad on the oil pan.

Joel McGregor
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] on behalf of Mark Durham [62vair at gmail.com]
Subject: Re: <VV> Deves rings?

Bob, I've used this procedure on hundreds of air cooled engines, many of
which I took apart again at overhaul 2000 hours later and never had any
scratches on the bearings or crank journals. The rings seat in faster when
cold and if you overheat the engine you glaze the barrels with burnt oil.

Regardless of which procedure you use, that first start rubs off the
tallest ridges of the cross hatch pattern in less than a minute, not enough
time to get oil temp up. after that, its simply fine tuning the wear in
pattern.  Besides, if you are using the correct viscosity oil that oil
bypass should not be a problem. plus, most of the wear in metal particles
are smaller than most filters can collect. Mark Durham.