<VV> 60-64 Corvair does not have IRS?

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Mar 30 11:58:21 EDT 2013

On 3/29/2013 23:06, Ray R. wrote:
> This is something I've been wondering for a while but haven't asked about.
>   I ran across a trivia point that the first year for IRS on Corvairs was
> 1965.  There was a not stating that the EM suspension was only semi-IRS.
>
> I don't see why the swing axle suspension would not be considered true IRS.
>   Is this just a matter of terminology or is the EM suspension truly not
> fully independent in some sense?
Hello Ray,
The 60-64 Corvair (or VW, Mercedes, Renault, etc) swing axle rear
suspension is still an independent design. Likewise, the Ford Twin
I-Beam (2wd) and Twin Traction Beam (4wd) are swing axle independent
front suspension designs.

My first plow truck was a 1990 Ford F-250 with TTB. It worked fine as
far as driveability was concerned but there was excessive camber change
when my 800lb snow plow was fitted for the winter.  It also had only a
Dana 44 differential which kept breaking.  I eventually swapped in a
Dana 60 monobeam and was much happier.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI
Still have 48-60 inches of snow on the ground in my yard!!