<VV> Fine Particles

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Mar 30 12:45:49 EDT 2013

I also put very strong magnets from junk hard drives in all of my motors ,
transmissions , and differentials to catch any fine break in particles. I
also  use magnetic drain plugs as sort of an indicator if too much going on
in the  wear dept.
one magnet on inside of each valve cover , one on the oil pump screen
shield in the little recess. on top cover of differential , in pan of
powerglides. I do not have any 4 speeds . a recheck on a couple shows the
magnet
grabbing VERY fine "mud" in each case. I bet it helps?
A guy could also put a magnet that strong on the outside of an oil filter
to help also.
Regards, Tim Colson
**********************
Smit5ty Says.  For the most part I agree with you Tim.  Every time I have
left magnets in engines Trannys abd diffs, they have collected a talcum
powder of particles.  I would add a note of caution on the oil filter magnet
though.  (I used to do that).  If you have the magnet stuck on the filter
and the magnetic field collects a pretty good pile of crud on the inside,
then if something or somebody moves the magnet, it is my opinion that a slug
of metallic particles will be released all at once into the oil system.  In
my mind that has to be more harmfull than the routine passing of the
particles.  Now what we really need is a bunch of those extremely rare
aluminum magnets.