<VV> Corvair near Wheaton

Charles Fregeau n5hsr at sprynet.com
Sun Mar 31 23:07:37 EDT 2013

It probably got removed from the Illinois vehicle code about the same time
they said that pickups no longer needed to have the owners name and GVW on
the side.  I remember my uncle having an old pickup with GEO LEAF & SONS GW
6000 on both sides, in the early 60's.   Apparently they decided the cost of
enforcement exceeded the fines gained and somebody's brother wasn't making a
handsome cut off retrofitting seatbelts anymore.

It's kind of weird, but a Corvair, the SAME Corvair, mind you, is
responsible for:

Me starting my license plate collection in 1965 (age 7)
My first Florida Plate (1962 Pinellas county D weight)
My first Illinois plate (1964 with my aunt's initials and last 4 of her
phone number)
My first Missouri plate (July 1970, when my dad bought the car off my
uncle.)
My learning how to drive and passing my driver's test. (1974)

Unfortunately it had 94,000 miles on it by then and the floor was rusting
out for the second time and we'd had a lot of trouble with the turn signal
on the left.  We didn't know any other Corvair owners in those days to help
us keep her running, or I might have 'bought' that as my first car from Dad,
too.  We sold it to a Corvair collector in Georgetown, Illinois in December
1974.   Don't remember his name at all, and wonder what he did with old
Tadpole.  I have the last registration card and plates from Tadpole with the
VIN.

Charles Fregeau