<VV> Mysterious Loosening Generator Pulley Nut

cwiland at zzz.com cwiland at zzz.com
Sat May 4 11:19:05 EDT 2013

This has happened twice to my Spyder's generator. This last time I had
about 200 miles on the engine/generator. Both times I installed a new
key, cleaned the armature threads with acetone and installed the
pulley with Loctite on the left-hand nut threads. When everything is
secured I can feel a slight amount of play between the armature shaft
and drive end ball bearing race. Could this set a vibration and work
the nut loose? Anyone else have this problem and solve it? The
generator has about 14000 miles on it since I rebuilt it with new
bearings and brushes and it has the correct fan/pulley for a Spyder.

Craig Wiland
'64 Spyder
CORSA Oregon
Owner of good things air cooled