<VV> Fuel pump pressure

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue May 7 00:23:44 EDT 2013

Well yeah, Clark was correct ... each time material is removed from the spring's length, its stiffness is increased..  So, the more the spring is cut, the more the pressure increases.  And the point beyond that was that if the spring is not held captive the fuel pressure will fall to ZERO when at the point when the spring is at full length.  One might get away with a little of that around town ... not on the highway.

In our racing days we had springs wound to our specifications as a regular practice.  Today because most of Detroit has been redued to ashes,, I am not sure I could get it done today.  But fuel pump pressure is not as critical as some believe!  Look how many "high pressure' problems have been cured by making the pressure a little higher.

Ken P

********

Hmmm, first you agree with Clark, then you take shortening to the extreme
and the fuel prerssure goes to zero, which sounds more like shortening the
spring will lower  fuel pressure.

As a practical matter, cutting the spring will result in lower fuel
pressure, as will raising the height of the cover (highly impractical).
Maybe the part that is missing is that one needs to pull the spring to
original length after cutting the coil?

We do agree, a true repair would be to buy a spring with the correct rate,
but who can buy such a spring? Got a part number?

Frank DuVal