<VV> Removing diesel smell from tennis shoes

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun May 12 17:30:15 EDT 2013

On 5/12/2013 12:00, Charles McKinley wrote:
> A little off-topic, but some of you might have an answer: My daughter
> drives a diesel bus in Charlottesville, VA, and she recently had a
> mischance while refueling the bus, such that her tennis shoes got soaked
> with diesel fuel. Now she wants to know if there's a homebrew method to
> get rid of that smell. Any suggestions? Would a vinegar soak accomplish
> anything or just add another obnoxious stink to the problem?
>
> (These are kind of special tennis shoes, so that just replacing them
> would be an expensive option.)

Charles,

Go to your favorite store that sells pet supplies.  Look for and
purchase a bottle of Nil-Odor shampoo or an equivalent brand.  Make sure
it is the stuff you use to shampoo your dog when it has had an
altercation with a skunk and you want to remove the odor.  Typically
there are directions on the bottle for washing clothing that has been
similarly "scented."  When appropriately washed your daughter's shoes
will faintly smell of the deodorant used in public restrooms but it
fades quickly is a lot better than diesel or skunk (and should also work
for gear lube).

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI