<VV> 63/4 Date code

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon May 13 22:20:10 EDT 2013

64 engine lid has separate letters C O R V A I R , like the 64 front lid
does. 63 front lid has no emblem or letters, just like 60 to 63.

63 has one emblem on engine lid that says Corvair.

Date codes are on that metal tag:

The first set of characters you see are a three character code on the
top left corner of the bodytag. This represents the date code. The code
consists of two digits and a letter*. The digits represent the month,
and the letter represents the week. Example 11B means November 2nd week.
The week began on a Monday. For the last week, if the week went through
a Wednesday, it was that month’s week. If it only went through Tuesday,
it was the next month’s week. This code represents the date the body was
completed by Fisher body. The body would then be delivered to the Chevy
side to install the drivetrain and complete the car. There is a definite
time interval between when the body was completed and delivered and when
the car was finished on the Chevy side and a VIN number assigned. This
was usually within a week or two, but sometimes could be longer. This
system gives rise to the possibility of a body built date at the end of
one month and a final production date at the start of the subsequent
month. Fisher would also deliver bodies in groups and was known to
sometimes hold back bodies for one reason or another, so it is possible
to have cars bodies that are out of sequence with the VIN numbers. (i.e.
body 8 has a Vin # higher than body 12). * An exception to the 2 digit-
one letter code is a 3 digit number code used on 1965 Los Angeles models
built in Mid-September 1964. This is discussed later at the end of the
Decoding section.

Hope that helps.

Frank DuVal