<VV> Need Advice About My Possible Purchase

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue May 14 16:02:09 EDT 2013

Hi AConnolly,

First, welcome to the wonderful world of VV.

Please forgive me if I am stating the obvious in this response  but this is
for both you and to others on VV generically.

$500 is probably a good price for a car that is "all  there."  This also
depends on what model the car is.  If nothing else,  it can serve as a parts
car.  However, I don't know your situation.   Things to consider .... Do you
have lots of room to store a potential parts car  along with your primary
car?  Do you live somewhere with real winters where  the cars must be stored
inside or is outside OK?  Will your wife, parents,  neighbors, township
nazis, etc. be tolerant of your long term project?   Some townships have policies
against non-running, non-registered,  non-insured cars.

Are you an old hand with Corvairs or at least with classic  cars?  If not,
you should seek out someone who is knowledgeable about  Corvairs or at least
old cars to look at the vehicle with you.  Look at it  pragmatically.  We
all tend to look at a car and see its potential as a  restored treasure but
sometimes overlook the effort and cost it will require to  restore it.  I
have looked at many, many cars over the years and am often  enthusiastic about
what I have seen.  However, I learned to stand back and  do a mental
assessment.  I.E., the interior that is in "fair condition" is  something that you
will probably replace eventually.  Interiors in fair  condition tend to
deteriorate quickly in a daily driver.  It costs the same  to replace a trashed
interior now as it costs to replace a fair interior a year  from now.  If
you can do the work yourself and consider that to be free,  the cost in
dollars will be limited to parts but that can be significant by  itself.  If you
(or friends) can't do body and mechanical work "for free"  the restoration
can get very expensive.  My point is that you might be  better off spending a
few thousand for a running street car in good shape.   You can start
enjoying the car immediately and probably  save money.  The choice is between
buying a derelict and bringing it up to  snuff or spending more for a car that is
already up to snuff.

Next, you say you will be looking at the car this  weekend.  Can I assume
you haven't seen it yet?  The description  you gave us is minimal and I
assume it came from the owner.  In  almost all cases, owner/sellers are
optimistic in their description of the  vehicle.  This could be due to human nature
or outright dishonesty.   "Minor rust" could mean terminal cancer.  The fair
interior could mean that  the top of the backseat is crumbling due to sun
damage but the seat bottom  is OK and the passenger seat is almost perfect but
the driver's seat gives  you a goose with wayward springs.  Bottom line;
the interior could be  called fair but still must be replaced completely.
Keep in mind that  surface rust or even cancer on a fender is relatively easy
to fix but that same  rust around a windshield or backlight could be a HUGE
expense.  What  appears to be surface rust in that location could mean cancer
under the  trim.

200 miles is a very long distance to drive.  Is that 200  miles one way or
round trip?  Do a calculation on the cost of the  inspection trip alone.
Additional cost to consider is the second trip  with a tow vehicle or having
it moved professionally.

You say that you won't have an opportunity to buy another  Corvair any time
soon.  Are you located that far out in the boonies?   Even if this is the
case, give us your location, there may be someone on this  site that is
"close enough" and can advise/accompany you or maybe even sell  you your first
Corvair.  Even if nobody is close enough to accompany you,  they may be able
to steer you to a running vehicle within a reasonable radius of  your
location.

Perhaps the most important advice; get more information before  you make
the 200/400/800 mile trek.

- Does the owner have clear title?  If not, you could  have a bad nightmare
making it legal in your name.  Is the title in his  name or is he skipping
title from the previous owner.  That is legal in  most cases but in some
states you could be faced with hundreds of dollars in  fees/fines if the title
was signed and dated years ago and not officially  transferred within a
specified time.  If it is in his name, has he kept  current with registration?
You could end up paying registration fees for  the past 10 years.

- "Minor rust" is too subjective.  To some, this means  truly minor surface
rust.  To others, this is qualified with the knowledge  that the vehicle is
almost half a century old.  In the owner's mind,  "minor" could include it
being a "Flintstone car."  I have looked at cars  that were described as
"fair" but were horrible.  The owner responded with,  "What do you expect for a
50 year old car?"  It was in fair condition for  its age in his mind but a
POS in my mind and we were both correct because it is  all subject to
perception and opinion.

- Have the owner take MANY pictures and send them to  you.  If he refuses
or if the pics seem to be taken from "artistic angles"  decline to visit.  If
it was a trip of only a few miles, you could  look at the car just for the
experience and the chance to chat with a classic  car owner but 200/400
miles is a large investment of time and  gasoline.

- Some people will tell you anything to get you there to look  at the car.
They know you will see the flaws but they think they might be  able to go
into "heavy sales mode" and get you to buy the car anyway.  You  are the one
spending all the time and gas on the road and they have little  investment.
They don't care if they piss off someone who lives 200 miles  away.

Finally, where are you located?  If you are too far from  civilization for
it to be convenient to casually search for a Corvair, you might  consider
taking a "car search" vacation to find your dream car.  The annual  convention
would be a great choice.  Another great choice would be the Fan  Belt Toss
event in October.  It is held every year in Palm Springs, CA and  there are
always cars for sale.  I am sure more than one person here on VV  would be
happy to help you find the right car that won't drain your wallet after  you
buy it.  The Belt Toss only runs from Friday afternoon to mid Sunday  with
Saturday as the primary day.  This will leave you plenty of time  to see some
of the sights in SoCal for a week vacation.  Believe me, "minor  rust" in
SoCal (and other dry climates) has a very different meaning than the  same
term in places that have real winters.  Of course, the cost of the  vacation
might eat into your Corvair purchase budget.  However, there are  many events
around the nation that might be closer to you.  You could also  plan to
visit a local club meeting or two.  I am sure you would be welcome  at any
meeting and if you schedule ahead, some members with cars to sell might  bring
them to the meeting.

I hope I haven't dampened your enthusiasm to own a Corvair in  the near
future.

Good luck

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 5/14/2013 6:36:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  1