<VV> Local Corvair racing

Sharon Leveque levair at aol.com
Sat May 18 00:55:50 EDT 2013

This Sunday at the Indianapolis Speedrome 3 Corvairs will be autocross racing in CP.
This doesn't happen often as we are usually running other classes trying to gather points, trophies, PAX scores or championships. To me it's quite a relief to not be doing any of the above and be just enjoying the socializing  and competition.
CP is the class usually dominated by V8 Pony cars where we don't have chance because of being the largest cars (108" wheelbase) with the smallest engines (3000 liters or less). No excuses this Sunday.
The Speedrome  1/4(or less? )  mile track is really very small and tight for these cars, but it doesn't matter this Sunday as we're just racing among ourselves on basically a  pyloned figure 8 type course.
   A quick summary of the Corvairs; I may not have complete knowledge of the other cars but here goes a good guess.
   Paul Fox:, frequent and deserving winner of the regional  CP Championship:
      1850 # mostly pure autocross car with 3100cc 13/1 comp. engine and four 1 1/2" bored Rochester race  carburetors; just recently added 15 x 12" rear wheels
    Michael LeVeque. 1940# dual purpose car, 3000 cc 13/1 comp.engine with 6 tube center mounted Holley carb. Running used  Avon tires acquired at the Mitty road race.
    Warren LeVeque 1940# mostly road racing car (per the 2012  Road Atlanta Walter Mitty) with 3000cc 8/1 comp. turbo engine with untried Holley 4 barrel intake system. Used Hoosier tires. This is my first trial run on this engine before the  Corvair Convention's Gingerman Race Track time trial.
    Interestingly Paul has a 3.27 axle and a standard Saginaw 4 speed.
    Michael and I have 3.89 axles and a road racing close(Yenko) ratio Saginaw 4 speed.
    Our different transaxles happen to multiply out to the exact same ratios in the first three gears.
     It should be interesting to watch Paul kick our butts!!!
   And Sunday is forecast to be the only day in nearly two weeks with no rain..

Warren