<VV> Towing Stuff -Dune Buggies!

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat May 18 13:56:15 EDT 2013

Hello Gary,

Considering the light weight of the buggies I do not think there will be
an issue with engine power or cooling as long as the main engine shrouds
are in place to insure proper air flow.  I doubt your buggy has a
heater, but even if it does the lower shrouds could be removed (if not
already) for a summer trip. The FC transmission with cooler should be
problem free.  If we were to consider that each buggy actually weighed
more, say 2000 lbs each, with you and your brother: 2000lbs + 2000lbs +
600lbs = 4600lbs, then this is equal to the listed GVW rating of an FC.
The aerodynamic drag coefficient of the buggy is probably a bit more
than an FC, but frontal area is quite a bit less, so wind load is not an
issue.  My only concern would be brakes.  Have you upgraded from the
stock VW braking system? Also, what gear ratio do you have and rear tire
size are you running?

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI