<VV> TRW Piston Problem

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat May 18 13:42:59 EDT 2013

Smitty Says;  I have run into a problem I need some professional advice on.
Keep in mind I am talking about using a used and somewhat worn cylinder.  I
am using a Sunnen hone which should pretty much guarantee a round cylinder
bore and no taper.  I have measured it and this is proven to be correct.  I
have honed the cylinder to take out a little surface rust from inside.  To
check piston clearance I used a new TRW piston and tried to put it in the
cylinder.  It went into a point just below the ring area, but then started
to tighten up.  I honed it some more and now it goes in but with drag on the
piston skirts.  I am sure the piston is cam ground which would account for
the skirt being larger than the body of the piston.  At this point I got a
gently used TRW piston and tried it.  It also has drag on the skirts when I
get past the main body of the piston.  The piston body to cyl clearance is
around .004.  All components I have mentioned are marked standard. (except
of course the Cyl).

I sure as heck don't want to keep honing to get more skirt clearance and
make more body clearance.  What the heck is going on here and what do I do
about it.  I don't feel comfortable with using the pistons with and physical
drag on the skirts.