<VV> 102 engine advice

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed May 22 14:38:02 EDT 2013

In my experience the governor only fails in 3 ways, all of which are easy to check visually.  1) the gear fails
2) the od & bore get chewed up from trash in the fluid
3) the valve inside sticks - If you stand it up with the gear down the valve should move up freely.
Since the Corvair governor is in a can you can't inspect the weights or springs.  What symptom leads you to suspect the governor?  The governor controls the shift point based on RPM vs fluid pressure.  The modulator is a much more common issue with shift problems.
Joel McGregor