<VV> PARADE HEAT ISSUES?

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri May 31 10:51:53 EDT 2013

All, one of the issues I have with lower shroud and or door/stat removal is
due to my 42 years in the aviation community. Aviation engines have the
equivilant to the upper and side cowlings, but when the air exits the oil
cooler and cylinders, it vents out the lower cowling. On smaller aircraft,
you had no control of this. On larger aircraft with bigger engines there
were cowl flaps that allowed the pilot to control temperatures, open for
more air flow for takeoff and climb, closed for lower power at cruise where
less air is required.

The rub is that aircraft engine power settings are normally smooth and
consistent, you power up, you go into cruise mode, and some time later you
reduce power to decend and land. The engines do not see the power spikes we
deliberately do to our engines every time we shift, stop at a light, push
the gas pedal and so forth, which also, varies the amount of cooling air
available by changing cooling fan speed and therefore air pressure on top
of the cylinders.

All this means is that I think that GM realized the engines would do better
if they were kept at a consistant temperature even though the engine speed
and power varied almost constantly. The lower shrouds , stats and doors do
just that.

Mark Durham