<VV> Troubleshooting

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Nov 6 10:56:04 EST 2013

Subject: <VV> troubleshooting?

Guys,
A friend has a strange problem.  The car was making some strange sounds he
thought was a loose flywheel.  I did not get to hear the sounds before he
had most everything disconnected to drop the engine.  I helped him change to
a bolted flywheel; then begin reassembly.  He finished hooking everything
up, and the car made the same sounds.  According to him the sounds are
intermittent.
What I have heard is when in neutral and the clutch pedal depressed the car
sounds normal.  Releasing the clutch pedal makes it sound as if two gears
are barely engaged, and the car wants to creep forward.  Put in reverse and
moving, the car judders as is something is hanging up.
My neighbor thinks it is an external shift linkage issue.  I don't, because
I can't get it to stop the initial sound.  I have not had the time to
disconnect the linkage to check.
My fear is it is a transmission failure.
Andy K.
Smitty Says;   If I read you right this noise is in gear and trying to move
the car.    If it makes the noise when trying to move the car you have a
couple of splines to look at.  If it is an Early either axle yoke, or the
spline where the tranny main shaft engages the pinion shaft.   Also the
pinion gear itself slipping on the shaft  I had a positraction unit fail in
that manner one time.