<VV> Early Odometer

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Nov 18 14:11:39 EST 2013

From: ERIC HICKS <copter at shaw.ca>
Subject: <VV> Rebuilding & Resetting Early model Odometer Assy.

Hi everyone,   I would like to rebuild, and reset an odometer for my
restored '61 Monza.  I have a unit out of a '64 that I plan to use.   Any
tech references, or advise would be greatly appreciated please.     Cheers
Eric Hicks, Vancouver B.C.
Smitty Says;  Eric if you can bring yourself to use the unit "as is" and
just give it a clean up and a lube job, I would strongly recommend that.
Any time you go into a speedo and start swapping parts you run a very real
risk of needing to take/send it to a shop to be recalibrated.
Second ( and just about as important) the numbers on the wheels were applied
with no primer at all.  The paint is just laying there.  It is so fragile
you can probably blow them off with your mouth.  The slightest touch and you
will flake the paint.  Sure, you can re-index the numbers if you are
careful, but is it worth it?  Nobody is going to believe anything a Corvair
odometer says anyway.