<VV> Disk Brake for LM

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Thu Nov 21 13:13:02 EST 2013

I'm with Ulli on this one, JR.

You don't have to race a car with drum brakes to realize their shortcomings.
I'm sure Ulli has been for drives with his group, up in the hill country,
where successive applications of the brakes on steeper downhill curves
causes overheating and warpage, which shows up later as that lumpy feeling
in the pedal and a pull to one side, both of which were common on the full
size Chevys of that era...

I equipped the Monza SR with discs all around and the next car, the SM, will
have power-assisted discs, even though it will weigh less than 2000 lbs.
Since 1965, most manufacturers have switched to disc brakes for increased
safety and an easier driving experience for the consumer.

Unfortunately Ulli, I used S-10 spindles and rotors on the SR and wouldn't
recomment that approach as a bolt-on for a stock Corvair. I won't be
repeating that on the SM either, due to the overly long steering arms, which
has given the first car extremely slow steering.

Mel Francis
Oconomowoc, WI