<VV> NOT ME!!!! Bruce needs help in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. area

Mike Jacobi mvjacobi at comcast.net
Wed Sep 4 10:08:45 EDT 2013

This illustrates why our hobby with our favorite car will always be limited
to those who can reliably repair them themselves.   Even if one is enough of
a mechanic to address minor issues, he still needs access to a hands on
garage based master who can diagnose problems and provide a cure.

Many who would love to own one of these cars are forced to back away and opt
for a water pumper simply because there is no master Corvair mechanic
available near where they live.  And the ones that are out there are less
and less able to take on additional work.

What is the answer?  I don't think its to sneer at such would be owners and
tell them that they should go away until they can properly turn a wrench.
I've heard that from folks right here on the net.  Perhaps not in so many
words but that is the impression many have taken away.  The video tapes that
have in the past been made available on topics like tuneups and carb
rebuilding I think, are the best way to address this.  Between videos and
easily available tech manuals, the would be owner might gain enough
knowledge to muddle through.  I wonder if the videos are still being made
available.  If so, GREAT!  If not, maybe a few of us could work on
reproducing and perhaps making them on any missing subjects.  Maybe an
inexpensive package of dvds could be sold to new owners, perhaps through one
of our terrific vendors.  The manuals are of course readily available.

But until the average guy with a problem he can't solve, can take his car to
a good garage at least in the same state, the Corvair will continue to be
undervalued and will eventually be even further marginalized.

Just sayin'

Mike in Michigan