<VV> Running engine without cooling system

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed Sep 4 16:52:58 EDT 2013

At idle a Corvair engine doesn't generate much heat.  You should be able to
find your oil leak without any problem.  I used to run a drag Corvair with
no fan or shroud.  Blast down the track and shift to neutral and coast to
the turn around.  then give it a little power in gear to get up speed to
coast to the timing slip building.  Then another burst of speed to get back
in the pits at idle.  Yes, by the time I got back to my pit area it was
cooking hot but no damage was done.  A little water spray from a bottle
turned to steam and helped cool it down.  Run a fan in the garage over top
of the engine to help blow the heat away.
Clark Hartzel