<VV> looseness in steering wheel

Cliff Tibbitts cliff at tibweb.com
Mon Sep 9 08:51:07 EDT 2013

This discussion about looseness in the steering wheel led me to ask this
question.  Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be anything between
the spring at the upper end of the steering column and the bearing/snap
ring in the directional switch?  (66 Monza)  The reason I asked is that
years ago, my steering columned squeaked like crazy every time I turned the
wheel.  I applied a lot of white litho grease to no avail.  Finally, I
fashioned a bushing out of brass to go between the spring and the
bearing/snap ring.  This worked well for years, then the directional switch
snapped in two.  I suspect the bushing wore it out.  I put the new switch
in without my aforementioned bushing and the squeaking is back.  Was there
some type of nylon insert in there from the factory?

--

Cliff Tibbitts
66 Monza
cliff at tibweb.com