<VV> 62-63 brake parts

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 14:07:44 EDT 2013

Ray, I saw that in the supplement too, however all of their pictures also
show self adjusting brakes, and I am wondering if they added the guide
plates along with the self adjusting system. I did brakes a couple of times
on my original Corvair in the 220K miles I drove it, and it did not have
self adjusting brakes, and don't remember the guide plates then, either,
but that is 40 years ago! The brake shoes do move a bit, so make sure you
do replace the hold down spring set to keep them as tight against the
backing plate as possible. Due to the fact that the axle bearing swivels,
so does the axle face and brake drum, so the surfaces may not always be
lined up parallel when you apply the brakes. I noticed slight but uneven
wear on the old shoes, 50% wear on the inner area, 80% wear on the outer
area.

Also, I cut open a old rear brake hose, first installed in 1962 at
manufacture, and I could not see a hole. Fluid was flowing, but was
restricted. So, believe the picture in the Clark's catalog and replace
those old hoses!

My current car has also operated fine on the non self adjusting brakes the
last 4 years with no guide plates. And, I drove it yesterday after a full
rear suspension rebuild and the brake pedal is actually easier to push now
that I am not fighting restrictive hoses!

Mark Durham
62 Monza 900 Coupe red/red 4 speed
Hauser, Idaho

--