<VV> UPDATE: Starting a Corvair That Has Been Sitting, Stuck Corvair

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sun Sep 22 13:11:53 EDT 2013

VVers:

First and foremost, I wanted to write and say thanks to everyone who
offered their thoughts and suggestions on- and off-line concerning
getting my 65 Monza back on the road.  I appreciate you taking the
time.  The bottom line is that the car is both unstuck and up and
running.  The rest of what follows is just a Corvair story following a
nice day.  Read it at half-time during the game... ;-)

As mentioned yesterday morning, I had set the parking brake
approximately 2 years ago on my 65 Monza Convertible.  At the time I
parked it, I was living out of the country and wasn't thinking that the
job I was on was going to continue and that the car would sit for that long.

I called AAA and got a flatbed tow truck with a winch to hook into the
frame and drag it out of the garage.  It was strange to see the car
dragging BOTH rear wheels against the garage floor.  It made me think of
teenagers being dragged to do something they don't want to do.  Once the
car was outside, I took off the wheels and used the BFH technique on the
brake drum and it worked like a charm.

After that problem was solved, I changed the oil and filter, charged the
battery, and spun the starter for a few seconds.  Almost without
exaggeration, the car started right up.  I let it run for a little
while, but none of the things I was expecting to see/hear (e.g.,
clattering lifters) happened.  Pretty good luck, I'd say.  I went for a
short run to the grocery store with no issues.

I brought it back and vacuumed, Windex-ed, and Armor All-ed the snot out
of the interior and then gave it a good wash.  I was blown away when I
took off the top boot to raise the roof to wash it.  I know for a fact
that the top hasn't been up for three years, but it went up with
absolutely no issues.

Once the car was gleaming again, I decided to go out on the highway to
air dry it rather than dry with a chamois.  I thought I was going to
drive at 65mph for a while, but made the command decision to get off the
highway and drive south to Little Compton, Rhode Island. Little Compton
is a town at the southeastern tip of the state and it's like going
backwards in time by 50 years.  Little Compton is largely a farming
community that just happens to abut the Atlantic Ocean.  The road that
goes down to it is 50 mph and curvy -- an ideal Corvair road -- with a
river on one side, the open ocean on the other, and
hundreds-of-years-old stone fences on both sides. Here are a few
pictures of the town (not taken by me, but this is exactly what we saw
yesterday):

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles28170.jpg
http://www.cummingsgroup.net/images/sold/21widgeon/view.jpg

The longer we drove, the more the Monza worked itself back into driving
shape.  By the time we rolled back into the driveway, it was humming
along just like my old friend.

We took the car out to dinner to celebrate my youngest daughter's
birthday.  Unfortunately, on the drive home, the blower bearing started
to squeal and I noticed a tick-tick-tick coming from the passenger-side
rear wheel, so there are still a few things I need to look at.

But, dear Lord, what a nice day we had.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and help.

Steven "smiling a Corvair smile" Serenska
1965 Monza Convertible, 110/4, a few minor fixes
1966 Corsa Coupe, 140/4, purchased a passenger muffler and a hanger at
Clarks via the show discount ... to be worked on next.

==> The muffler is in the white box as shown below in a picture taken at
Clarks.  The picture was taken by CORSA Eastern Division Director Karl
Haakonsen who was nice enough to walk over and introduce himself after
he heard me introduce myself to another VVer: