<VV> Muffler resonating

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Sep 28 20:37:51 EDT 2013

Hello Jim,

I have had experience with Magnaflow mufflers in two applications. In
one case a Jeep Liberty and other my '65 Greenbrier. In both cases the
exhaust note was fine for the first 500 miles or so. Then they got
noisier to the point annoyance [drone] on the highway for any length of
time.  I took them both off.  I think you need to find a more stock-like
muffler to fit your special application. Go to the Walker Muffler
universal dimension search site:

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/walker-exhaust-systems/universal-muffler-dimension-search

and find something that will fit the size constraints you need. Then see
what car it fits to determine if the engine application is a reasonable
match for your turbo.  I did this to find a muffler for our '65
Greenbrier which has a modified 110 with 140 exhaust logs installed.  I
had my local muffler shop bend up some 1-3/4" pipes so that I could
fabricate a "140 single" exhaust crossover. To replace the Magnaflow my
search yielded a 2" inlet 6" round muffler for a Chrysler LeBaron 3.0L
V6 that fits perfectly and sounds great.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI