<VV> Directories and other thoughts

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Apr 8 00:09:06 EDT 2014

On 4/7/2014 1:39 PM, ricebugg at comcast.net wrote:
> I think I have all the paper directories back to what I believe is the first one in 1976.  I generally take the current one with me on road trips.  Paper never crashes.
Yeah - gotta figure out a glovebox for mine - right now, I stash
everything in the driver's door.
> You want an CORSA app for a SPP!   Fine, gofurit.  First define what content you want available.  Tell us.  You will get the best feedback from this CORSA community.  Then develope the app...I don't know what that involves, nor can I dt, so it is easy for me to say.  But I will object strongly if the info in the directory is made available to any non-CORSA member at anytime for for any reason. If that is the limit to your app idea.
Those would be different apps - I'm not really opposed to a directory
app - it is actually a great idea.
The tech guide(s) would be more like e-books. They don't need to be
apps, and don't need to go online. Just another way to have tech info at
hand.

more to the point - an app that could look through a list of addresses,
compare that against a current location (or specified location, or
specified path) and find the addresses that were within some specified
distance of the location or path - that shouldn't be too awful to create
- maybe something like that already exists.
An alternate /valuable lookup would be to find however many 'closest'
addresses, rather than looking a set distance.
The above would require that the list of names/addresses were available
in electronic form, of course.
If anyone wants to bang some ideas around, shoot me an email.

Btw - I am a Technical Writer, though I haven't done any Mobile stuff yet.
I am certainly not opposed to learning, and generally need a good
excuse/project to get me to tackle a new technology.

> I so like Clark's ads I see in magazines: "Forget the myth, drive the car."  Wish I had thought of it and that CORSA could use it.
I guess we can just quote them...

> Historically Yours,
>                      James Rice

yeah, most of us are in or near the "historical" category.
;-)

My mini-rant still stands - paper doesn't need recharging.
--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans

---