<VV> An app and a SIG

ricebugg at comcast.net ricebugg at comcast.net
Tue Apr 8 12:35:40 EDT 2014

Jay:  Do not wait for someone "in authority/leadership" to ask you to do your idea.  Just do it.  Present it as a done deal to the CORSA community.

Remember, it is easier to get forgiven than it is to get permission.  Should not be this way, but it is.

CORSA is full of people with ideas.  But it needs some more people with a "I could do that...and I will."  Maybe desperately needs some more people who say "...and I will."

And let me clarify something here.  It is a fatal flaw when management/leadership assumes that the person or group who have a good idea is also the best person or group to develop and implement the idea.  This is true of business, and especially true in volenteer organizations.  Like CORSA.  Sometimes they are, but generally they are not.  And when given the responsibility to develop and implement an idea, the potential for further good ideas stops completely.

I don't know if Jay is the best person to develop this app idea.  But since he kinda maybe wants to try, I'll cheer him on.  He is much better than the 2nd choice, which is NoOne and his brother NotMe.

Same for the idea of a "Powered By Corvair" SIG.  I have since lost the person who said "maybe me."  If you say, "I can do that...and I will," let me know.  I will help with the wordsmithing of the appropriate documentation to get it started.

Historically Yours,
                      James

Message: 2Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 21:09:06 -0700From: Jay Maechtlen <jaysplace at laserpubs.com>Subject: Re: <VV> Directories and other thoughtsTo: ricebugg at comcast.net, virtualvairs at corvair.org

On 4/7/2014 1:39 PM,
ricebugg at comcast.net wrote:> I think I have all the paper directories back to what I believe is the first one in 1976. I generally take the current one with me on road trips. Paper never crashes.Yeah - gotta figure out a glovebox for mine - right now, I stash everything in the driver's door.
> You want an CORSA app for a SPP! Fine, gofurit. First define what content you want available. Tell us. You will get the best feedback from this CORSA community. Then develope the app...I don't know what that involves, nor can I it, so it is easy for me to say. But I will object strongly if the info in the directory is made available to any non-CORSA member at anytime for for any reason. If that is the limit to your app idea.
Those would be different apps - I'm not really opposed to a directory app - it is actually a great idea.
The tech guide(s) would be more like e-books. They don't need to be apps, and don't need to go online. Just another way to have tech info at hand.

More to the point - an app that could look through a list of addresses, compare that against a current location (or specified location, or specified path) and find the addresses that were within some specified distance of the location or path - that shouldn't be too awful to create - maybe something like that already exists.  An a
lternate /valuable lookup would be to find however many 'closest' addresses, rather than looking a set distance.The above would require that the list of names/addresses were available in electronic form, of course. If anyone wants to bang some ideas around, shoot me an email.

Btw - I am a Technical Writer, though I haven't done any Mobile stuff yet.  I am certainly not opposed to learning, and generally need a good excuse/project to get me to tackle a new technology.> >> I so like Clark's ads I see in magazines: "Forget the myth, drive the car." Wish I had thought of it and that CORSA could use it.I guess we can just quote them...> > Historically Yours,> James Rice> yeah, most of us are in or near the "historical" category. ;-)
My mini-rant still stands - paper doesn't need recharging.> "everybody"?I don't have a bloody smartphone. Or a tablet. I'd > probably have to root my wife's Nook to put a 3rd partyapp on it, and > that's not going to happen any time soon.And we have GPS units, but > they won't have the CORSA directory in them. Yes, an app could be > nice. But if you have a tablet, you can probably use the CORSA website.-- Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8 Buick V6 TH440T4 trans