<VV> Help with a sound

Bob Gilbert 1 bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Tue Apr 15 00:18:03 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have a freshly rebuilt 3.1 with 4 carbs in my UltraVan. The heads were
done by Ray Sedman and he also provided most of the bits and pieces. So it's
good quality work and bits and pieces!

I have about 500 miles on the engine and out of the blue it developed a
rattling, metallic sound reminiscent of a sticky lifter but with a harsher
metallic "rap", more like pieces of metal hitting each other.

I have adjusted the lifters, both hot and cold and the sound persists. I've
tried to isolate it and it appears to be coming from cylinder 2 but I'm not
absolutely certain

I thought maybe a valve problem(lifter, seat, etc.)  but I have a uniform
185 pounds compression on all cylinders and the its starts and runs well,
except for this sound. Its loud enough that I really don't want to do any
camping trips in case I make a bad situation worse and/or get stranded.

I seriously injured my back last year so I really don't want to pull the
engine out except as an absolute last resort.

So I'm looking for suggestions on:

a) isolating the sound, which might in turn lead to a solution. I have tried
the broom stick to the ear but that didn't work (probably because I'm partly
deaf!)

b) My gut still says it's a lifter problem but I need  advice on
troubleshooting to specifically indicate a bad lifter or otherwise rule out
a bad lifter.

c) any other ideas or suggestions

Thanks,

Bob Gilbert