<VV> my last engine noise mystery

Bob Gilbert 1 bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Thu Apr 17 14:07:26 EDT 2014

Hi Tim,

The more digging I do the more I'm beginning to think that it might be
piston slap and the metallic noise that I hear is the piston hitting the
cylinder wall.
When I used a really bright flashlight I did seem some scuffing on the
piston skirts. It's mostly minor scuffing but there one is a scratch big
enough that I can just feel it with my finger nail.
My borescope should be here in a few days and that hopefully will rule out
any damage on the top side of the cylinders.
If there is no damage, then I'm back to the possibility of piston slap and
if so, I'm not sure what I will do. Opinions vary all over the map from
ignoring it to doing a rebuild.

Regards,
Bob