<VV> engine noise mystery

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 11:13:56 EDT 2014

A certain amount of scratching on piston skirts can be "normal" if cleaning efforts before and during assembly were less than perfect.
I think Smokey Yunick or Bill Jenkins said OHV V8 owner's can expect slight scratching from migrating valve spring and retainer debris.

I would try gently but insistently inserting feeler gages in the 0.0015" to 0.010" range between each skirt and cylinder. Quality feeler gages are somewhat deburred on the edges, but I would probably buff or scotchbrite and then clean the rounded tip before probing.
If much more than a 3 or 4 can be inserted deeply I'd suspect an clearance issue.

Dan T