<VV> electrical problem - SOLVED!!!

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 15:56:39 EDT 2014

I looked into the wheelwell at the connections.  Everything looked normal.  Once
under the car, I proceeded to hook up the test light.
I then looked up..................and saw IT.  It seems that what was causing
all of this hate and discontent was, quite simply, the battery cable end being
tilted
just enough to the side to touch the "run" terminal nut on the solenoid!!!!!!!
Further clarification (for those who didn't know this) is that the '60 starter
wiring is hooked up from under the car.  The starter is mounted upsidedown.
Also, this was NOT an original gm battery cable.  A generic aftermarket one.
The terminal had an oblong shape to it and really didn't fit that well on a
'60 starter.  All it took to fix it was to bend the end of the cable to a 45
degree angle and CAREFULLY re-attach it.  Now I see why the factory changed
the starter setup and wiring after '60!!!!!!!!

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

 Great news!  and a simple fix!!    By the way.. the "R"  is not the "Run"  circuit... it's the RELAY  circuit that gives the coil a full 12 volts during cranking only.

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages