<VV> electrical problem - SOLVED!!!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Apr 27 23:50:54 EDT 2014

Glad you found it.

No, the R stands for resistor bypass. It bypasses the ignition resistor
while the starter in engaged to give higher output to the spark plugs.

No, this was not the reason for the 61 starter change. That has to do
with the fresh hot air heater repacing the gasoline heater of the 1960
model. The 60 has no ductwork behind the rear seat, so GM made the
package area behind the rear seat very deep. This meant the starter
solenoid had to be below this very low floor area. With the new hot air
heater, they ran ductwork behind and under the rear seat. This meant the
package area was much shallower, so there was room to mount the starter
solenoid on top of the starter, getting it out of the way of the left
u-joint/axle.

Frank DuVal