<VV> Other non-running Vairs

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 17:15:27 EDT 2014

I love the story of the non-running dune buggy!
I bought a Meyer's Manx buggy which was the Corvair version using the
Corvair front and rear suspension and complete Corvair drive train.

I got it for $500 because it was not running. Back in 1979.
Owner had it for 2 years and no matter what could not get it running.

First thing I found wrong was he was using a 6 volt battery. I had brought a
battery along. Second was the points weren't opening.........after that I
drove it on the trailer, and he was not happy. Took all of 10 minutes to
make it go.
This buggy was 150 Turbo powered with a 3 speed? Also had the Spyder dash in
it.

Bought a 67 Corvair 500 because the owner was told the motor was blown. Paid
$50. Oil pressure switch was shot. At the time cost $3 to fix.

Not the only car I bought that had a simple fix. Bought a 67 Impala because
I was told the motor was shot.
Clamp holding the distributor in place was totally loose and the distributor
was jumping out of the hole while cranking.
Drove it home for $50. Around 1980.

Gary Swiatowy

From: Alan Eggleston <AlanE.Eggleston at scouting.org>
Subject: <VV> Other non-running Vairs

I had a boat once that I couldn't really use.  I found someone who wanted a
boat, and had a 73 Berry Mini-T dune buggy with a 110 Corvair engine he
would trade, even though the buggy was worth twice the boat.  So I trailered
the boat, and arrived at the house.  He said we would have to push it onto
the trailer as it would not start.  He said he was a pit crew mechanic.  So
I flipped the kill switch and tried to start it.  No go.  I went back to the
rear to watch while he cranked it.  Hmmm.  I studied it, then reached in,
changed the spark plug wires to the correct positions, started it up, drove
onto the trailer and took it home.

Alan Eggleston