<VV> Roller tip rockers...I know it's been covered before

M Stevens viewmastermik at netscape.net
Fri Aug 8 15:31:29 EDT 2014

Thanks Seth for ALL the good info. I am leaning toward the Comp Cams 1431 roller tips. I will do the required rework, to have them usable on my Corvair. Thanks again.

-m

Sent from my putt putt phone...

There is plenty of debate on use of the ball-stud roller tip rockers from
Comp Cams. The ones that are closest to the Corvair rocker in design are the
1.6  non-rail Ford rockers, not Chevy 1.6 rockers. Non-rail means they need
pushrod  guide plates, like the stock Corvair rockers do. In my opinion,
there are three  mods needed to run these successfully on a Corvair. The
Corvair valve train is  not oiled through the tip of the pushrod (except for some
oil in the matching  depression in the rocker arm. The Corvair ball stud is
oiled through the  small hole in the side of the pushrod. Since the rocker
is mounted upside down -  from the V8 position - oil cannot drain down from
the original hole in the  rocker to the ball stud. The Corvair squirts a
little through a hole in the  flank of the rocker. The Ford rockers do not have
this hole, it must be added.  Hard drilling! Carbide tip. Since the Corvair
doesn't use the hole in the  rocker tip, it should be closed off. I TIG
welded the hole shut, from the  top-side of the rocker. Finally, the rockers on
the Corvair, with it's splayed  valve design, have to lean over to the side
a bit to allow all three  items, pushrod tip, ball stud and roller tip to
stay in alignment during  travel. The Ford rocker, like the small block
Chevy, does not lean in  original use, so it has a narrow slot. The slot must be
opened up on the side  (see the Corvair rocker for an example) to clear the
rocker stud. Intakes  and exhaust lean in opposite directions, so if you
grind only one  side to retain a little extra strength, the rockers become
unique, a left  and a right. I mis-installed a pair on my motor and it sounded
like a threshing  machine. (Ventura 2008) When I pulled them off, the rocker
studs were  highly polished on that side.

I am using the Harland Sharp rockers (via SC Performance) on my  current
race motor. Why? Because I had them on the shelf. They are pretty, but  make
valve adjustment a pain.

Remember, Mike, opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has  one!

-Seth Emerson

In a message dated 8/7/2014 10:14:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,