<VV> <vv> steering box slop

Les corvair at mymts.net
Sun Aug 10 15:28:32 EDT 2014

Keep in mind there are TWO adjustments. The one in the trunk is the second.

It's on page 4-9 of my '61 manual. Adjust the bearing preload first (the
great big nut at the end of the box) then you can adjust the ball
carrier with the adjustment in the trunk.

If the first adjustment is loose, the second one is futile.

Les
corvair at mts.net

------------------------------ Message: 3 Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014
14:35:45 -0400 From: Ramon Rodriguez III <corvairgrymm at gmail.com> To:
"virtualvairs at corvair.org" <virtualvairs at corvair.org> Subject: <VV>
steering box slop Message-ID:
<CAEaZS-9pFEnr1Js3dCvr9MzpymoobZeub4KOWnVy5Kp_Enk_WA at mail.gmail.com>
first: My biggest concern currently with Missy's 61 coupe is the
steering. I've installed the nylon clarks bushing and everything in the
steering linkage is nice and tight but the steering wheel goes through
far too much travel before the pitman arm starts to move in the
slightest. I checked the tech guide and didn't find a steering section.
I think I remember reading years ago about steering box adjustment. I've
got the shop manuals, so feel free to refer me to them, I just want
advice on how best to proceed. Keep in mind this is Missy's only set of
wheels so I don't want to take it off the road for more than a day or
two if I don't have to. Ray Rodriguez and Missy Nagle (who will be Missy
Rodriguez in twenty days!) Lake Ariel, PA ------------------------------
Message: 4 Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 13:52:30 -0500 From: "J. R. Read"
<hmlinc at sbcglobal.net> To: "Ramon Rodriguez III"
<corvairgrymm at gmail.com>, <virtualvairs at corvair.org> Subject: Re: <VV>
steering box slop Message-ID:
<79023F93FD4F432FBA354DC9364FBE34 at jrd5ed88692d59> Content-Type:
Ray, The adjuster screw (and locking nut) are under a round plastic plug
in the trunk floor. If you pull the plug and see that the screw is level
with or even below the top edge of the nut, it is time to have the box
rebuilt (or find someone that has a rebuilt on the shelf). If there is
"some" adjustment still available, go slowly - maybe a 1/4 turn or so -
and then take it for a ride. It is possible to damage the internals of
the box if you overtighten. So, just go in small increments until you
are happy. When taking it for a ride pay attention to whether or not the
steering wheel returns to center more or less on it's own after a turn.
If it is not returning, you have overtightened the adjuster. Later, JR
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ramon Rodriguez III via
VirtualVairs" <virtualvairs at corvair.org> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 1:35 PM Subject: <VV> steering box slop