<VV> Starting dormant car

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 15 22:43:38 EDT 2014

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:45:51 -0400
> From: "Smitty" <vairologist at cox.net>
> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
> Subject: <VV> Starting dormant car
>
> Smitty Says;   Got several good posts with ideas.  A couple of the most logical suggested stopped up muffler.  It Isn?t.  Then a couple suggested failure of the ballast wire as it warmed up.  I admit I haven?t hot wired the car but the spark observer wire in place where the # 1 wire was, showed a fat yellow spark till the last turn of the engine.  To take the electrical system farther out of the picture I will hot wire it when I go down there again.  Sorry I can?t give instant feedback because it will be a while before I make another run.  When the time comes that it runs, I will report on VV.  Other post suggested pushrod for fuel pump.  That idea rejected for good stable fuel pressure noted on test rig which stayed in place for this whole event.  Bad coil? , Rejected in view of continued good spark.  Best suggestion was have him bring the car to my house.  I had already considered that but I live in a tract house with a single car garage in front and a garage in back for th
>  e garage queen.  I have three other cars in addition to that.  I am not a shop but a mechanic enthusiast and maintain my cars out of my attached garage.

Smitty- Yellow Spark is the clue that there is an ignition problem- The spark must be BLUE. It may be that the coil
simply doesn't work properly when warm (I have seen them fail that way) or the resistor wire is buggered up- the
hotwire method would eliminate that possibility. Supposedly, poor coil grounds can cause the "yellow spark" problem also, so might be something to check also.
Kevin Nash