<VV> Dormant car yellow vs blue

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Aug 16 23:17:06 EDT 2014

I think the disconnect of thoughts on this yellow vs blue subject is the
spark is being viewed in a "tool", and not in open air.

  I do agree that the desired spark in open air from a spark plug or
holding a high voltage lead near ground is a blue spark, The yellower it
is, the lower the voltage.

But I have no idea how the tool Smitty has works. I assume it is a
series circuit spark gap. But, is it under vacuum, inert gas, or
atmospheric air? An inert gas would change the color.

And, if it is a series spark gap, then no matter what the color, the
spark is also jumping the plug gap, unless there is another easier path
between the tool and the plug gap, like a bad spark plug
insulator.

Frank DuVal